UN Delays Congo 'Genocide' Report
The United Nations human rights office says it will delay a report that accuses Rwandan troops of committing war crimes in the Democratic Republic of Congo during the 1990s.
Human Rights commissioner Navi Pillay said Thursday that she is postponing the report's release to October 1 to allow "concerned states" time to comment on the findings.
She says she has offered to publish these comments alongside the report.
Rwanda has protested the report, a draft of which was leaked to several news organizations last month. The draft said Rwandan Tutsi troops may have killed thousands of Hutus in the DRC during a cross-border Central African war.
Rwanda said Tuesday it is ready to withdraw its peacekeeping troops from Sudan if the U.N. published what it called the "outrageous and damaging report."
U.N. spokesman Rupert Colville has said the final report will differ in a number of ways from the draft leaked to media outlets.
Article by VOA News