Pakistan Rejects Indian Charges of Involvement in Mumbai Attacks
Pakistan has rejected new Indian charges of Pakistani state involvement in the 2008 terror attacks that killed 166 people in India's financial capital, Mumbai.
Pakistani Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani denied the allegations Thursday, after wrapping up two days of talks in New Delhi with his Indian counterpart, Ranjan Mathai.
Jilani also urged India to share evidence it has in its probe of the case, and he offered Pakistani cooperation in establishing a joint investigative commission.
Mathai said India wants Pakistan to pursue the leads that have emerged in the interrogation of a key suspect in the attacks who was arrested last month.
Indian officials say the suspect, Zabiuddin Ansari , has claimed the attacks were coordinated in Pakistan with state support. Investigators report Ansari has said he and the founder of the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba were in a control room in Karachi when the attacks occurred.
India has blamed Lashkar-e-Taiba for carrying out the Mumbai attacks.
On Wednesday, Indian Home Minister P. Chidambaram accused Pakistan's government of supporting the attacks. He said although the incident happened in Mumbai, there was a control room in Pakistan before and during the incident.
India has long blamed Pakistan for delaying investigations and prosecutions of people who allegedly played a role in the Mumbai attacks.
Article by VOA News