The Navy took delivery of its newest attack submarine, PCU New Mexico (SSN 779), from Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (NGSB) Dec. 29, four months earlier than its contract delivery date. New Mexico is the sixth Virginia-class submarine and the third delivered by NGSB.
"New Mexico performed superbly on sea trials," said Rear Adm. William Hilarides, program executive officer for submarines. "Her early delivery keeps us firmly on pace for a 60-month construction span by the end of the Block II contract."
Members of Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines taught more than 40 officers from the Philippine National Police techniques for identifying homemade bombs in Zamboanga del Norte province Dec. 22-23.
Law enforcement in Zamboanga regularly comes across suspected IEDs and often have to investigate individuals accused of making homemade bombs, making this training imperative to perform their duties.
"The purpose of the class was to teach the bomb squads what to look for when searching a property of someone who is suspected of making explosives.
The New York Military Forces Honor Guard rendered military honors at the funerals of more than 10,400 former Army members, mostly from the World War II generation, in 2009.
However, there are still Soldiers being buried out there who don't get the honors they are entitled to because they or their families don't realize what they are owed by their country, said Donald E. Roy, the director of Honor Guard.
The Honor Guard is comprised of New York Army National Guard Soldiers who perform these duties in addition to their military and civilians jobs.
Italy says it will not negotiate with an al-Qaida group that has claimed responsibility for kidnapping two Italians in Mauritania. The North African al-Qaida branch known as al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb said on Sunday that it was behind the recent kidnapping of an Italian couple in Mauritania.
In an audio message broadcast on al-Arabiya television on Monday, a spokesman for al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb said the group is behind this month's kidnapping of an Italian couple in Mauritania.
Authorities in Yemen say the Nigerian man accused of trying to destroy a U.S. jetliner last week lived in Yemen for months, and was in the country as recently as this month.
The Yemeni Foreign Ministry says 23-year-old Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was in Yemen from early August to early December. The ministry says he was granted a visa to study Arabic at an institute in the capital, Sanaa, where he had previously studied.
The British government has confirmed that the young Nigerian man accused of trying to blow up a trans-Atlantic flight on Christmas Day was refused entry into Britain earlier this year and his name was added to a so-called watch list.
Somehow, somewhere, security officials did not pick up on the information at their disposal that allowed an individual on a security watch list onto a plane bound for the U.S.
Afghan-international security forces captured Taliban commanders and several militants in Kandahar and Khowst last night.
A Taliban commander responsible for several IED attacks was captured during a series of raids in Kandahar.
All Soldiers are trained on various convoy operations before they deploy, even if they never step into an armored vehicle during their deployment.
Here at Camp Adder though, some Soldiers continue to hone their skills because it can save their lives.
"We're doing convoy lanes training," said Sgt 1st Class Robert Moore with the 121st Brigade Support Battalion.