Lebanon Tribunal Releases Indictment in Former PM’s Murder
The U.N.-backed tribunal investigating the 2005 murder of Lebanon's former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri has released its indictment against the four Hezbollah members who prosecutors say carried out the attack.
The court said Wednesday it has confirmed the charges against the suspects and made the indictment public after prosecutors showed there is sufficient evidence to bring the case to trial.
The court says the indictment had been kept secret to ensure authorities could effectively search for and arrest the accused. The court says some portions of the document will remain confidential so as to protect victims and witnesses.
Former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri says the decision to unseal the indictment related to his father's murder is a “critical step towards uncovering the truth and achieving justice.”
The prosecutor in the case, Daniel Bellemare, also welcomed the pre-trial judge's order to unseal the indictment. He said publishing the indictment answers many questions about the February 2005 attack, but that the “full story” will unfold during a public, fair and transparent trial.
The head of the tribunal said last week Lebanese authorities have been unable to arrest the four suspects, who are members of Lebanon's Hezbollah moment. Hezbollah has denied involvement in the killing.
Judge Antonio Cassese has urged the four suspects to appear before the court and stressed the proceedings will be conducted fairly.
Mr. Hariri and 22 others were killed in a massive truck bombing in the Lebanese capital, Beirut.
Article by VOA News