Guinean President Survives Attack on House
Guinean President Alpha Conde escaped an assassination attempt early Tuesday when unidentified gunmen attacked his home.
Mr. Conde, who was not injured in the assault, later appeared on state television and appealed for calm.
Witnesses reported hearing heavy shooting overnight at the president's home in the Kipe suburb of the capital, Conakry. In his speech, Mr. Conde said the fighting lasted about two hours, and he thanked the presidential guard which said “fought heroically.”
A minister in the Guinean presidency, Francois Fall, says one member of the guard was killed.
A witness in Conakry told VOA the military has sealed the area surrounding Mr. Conde's home.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack.
President Conde took office seven months ago after winning Guinea's first democratic election since the country won independence in 1958.
The mineral-rich nation has a history of coups, the most recent coming in December 2008, after the death of longtime ruler Lansana Conte.
A transition government led by General Sekouba Konate steered the country to a presidential election last year.
Article by VOA News