Guinea Arrests 38 in Conde Attacks
The government of Guinea has arrested 38 people in connection with two attacks last week on the home of President Alpha Conde.
An official with the justice ministry told reporters Tuesday that the suspects include 25 military personnel.
Conde escaped harm in both of the July 19 assaults.
In the first attack, Conde said the gunmen targeted his bedroom with gunfire and a bazooka in the pre-dawn hours. The president was not sleeping in his bedroom at the time.
Hours later, shooting broke out again near his home.
Last week, Guinean authorities arrested two military figures, including General Nouhou Thiam, a former army chief. Conde fired Thiam soon after taking office seven months ago.
Officials also arrested a former member of the presidential guard.
In November, Conde won Guinea's first democratic election since the country won independence in 1958.
The country has a history of authoritarian rule and coups. The most recent coup was in December 2008, when a group of military officers seized power after the death of longtime ruler Lansana Conte.
A transitional government led by General Sekouba Konate steered the country to a presidential election last year.
Article by VOA News