Home
Find us on Facebook

Zelaya Aide Says Honduran Agreement Has Failed

Printer Friendly VersionPrinter Friendly VersionSend to a FriendSend to a FriendAn aide to ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya says a deal designed to end the country's political crisis has failed, after interim leader Roberto Micheletti announced the formation of a new cabinet. Mr. Micheletti said late Thursday he is installing a national unity government without the participation of  Mr. Zelaya, who has declined to name any cabinet members. The two signed an agreement last week to resolve the four-month political standoff.  A new government was set to begin Thursday. Mr. Zelaya warned Thursday the accord was at risk of collapsing unless Congress held a vote to restore him to power immediately to serve out his term that ends in January.  Honduras elects a new president on November 29. Congress must vote on Mr. Zelaya's restitution and has not yet done so.  The recently signed pact does not stipulate a deadline for the Congressional vote. The U.S., a major broker in the mediation efforts, said this week the next step in the political crisis is up to Honduras. Governments have threatened not to recognize the presidential elections if Mr. Zelaya is not first returned to power. Mr. Zelaya was ousted in a military-backed coup in June, but returned to Honduras in September, where he has taken refuge in the Brazilian embassy in Tegucigalpa.